Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of this week's creation, so it will be sans picture, however; future posts in this series will include photos of special ingredients as well as the finished product. And now without further suspense, your recipe of the week.
Italian Style Turkey Swiss Avocado Mushroom (TSAM) Burgers!
4 Italian Hoagie (Sandwich) Rolls
4 Pre-formed Turkey Burger Patties*, Seasoned as Desired and Ready to Grill!
1 pkg Baby Bella Mushrooms, Sliced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp italian seasonings
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp olive oil or butter
1-2 minced garlic cloves (can be fresh or from the jar)
1 Avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise
4 thick slices deli style Jarlsberg swiss cheese
*Look for 1/4lb. burger patties, or feel free to make your own burgers!
1. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
2. While grill is heating, add butter or oil and heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add onions to skillet, stirring frequently until just starting to turn translucent. Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté with the onions.
4. While the mushrooms & onions are cooking, go ahead and put your turkey burgers on the grill, 4 minutes on the first side.
5. Add garlic, garlic salt and italian seasonings to saute and stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low until finished cooking.
6. Flip your turkey burgers, season and grill for another 4 minutes.
7. Toast your Italian rolls in a toaster, toaster oven, on the grill or in a conventional oven on broil, until just golden brown.
8. Pull your burgers off the grill and let stand for a couple of minutes. Cut each burger in half.
9. Build your burgers: On each hoagie roll, place two burger halves, topped with sauteed mushrooms/onions, then swiss cheese, finished with (optional) avocado slices.
This is a delicious and filling dinner. Cut in half for the little ones. Serve with sweet potato fries or fresh veggies.