Our little family loves to spend time cooking and baking together in the kitchen. When, DeAnn from the S.I.P. Project asked me to share a recipe for her Dish & Serve series on her blog, I was delighted. Now, since we've been away on an extended business trip in Alaska, it wasn't a matter of finding a great recipe to share, it was figuring out who to give the treats to once they were made. Luckily we've become friends with two other business travelers who work for my husband's company. Since one of them isn't big on sweets, we decided to find out what kind of things the other one would like --- carrot cake was her choice, and Zion loves cooking cupcakes, so it was easy to decide on making mini carrot cakes!
After we got our cupcakes cooking in the oven, it was time to make a delicious cream cheese frosting. Now, anyone who makes frosting from scratch will tell you that it is no easy task to do by hand. Since we don't have a hand mixer up here where we are staying, I used the next best thing --- my strong husband! After much elbow grease and a slight variation on the ingredients to make it easier, we finished our delicious frosting.
We taste tested a few of the cupcakes to make sure we weren't going to be sending over any disasters to our friend, and then packed up several to bring to her. We knew she'd love them and couldn't wait to see her reaction!
She was thrilled to receive some home made goodies, especially since she has been away from home much longer than we have been! I loved seeing Zion proudly hand over the cupcakes she had made.
Paleo / Grain-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Adapted rom PaleoOMG)
- 1.5 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Put your shredded carrots in a bowl, mix in almond flour, follow with remaining dry ingredients except for raisins and walnuts.
- Whisk your eggs in a small bowl, add honey and vanilla and stir until mixed.
- Add egg mixture to other ingredients and mix together.
- Fold in raisins & walnuts if using.
- Place cupcake ingredients into a muffin tin lined with paper liners . Should fill 10-12 muffins depending on size.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Easy Mixer-Free Cream Cheese Frosting: (Adapted from SpinachTiger)
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese (1 1/2 containers)
- 5 tablespoons pastured butter, softened
- 5 1/2 - 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- Cream butter and cream cheese together.
- Add in confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time until about 5 cups have been added.
- Add in heavy cream and vanilla.
- Add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of confectioners' sugar.
- Beat until fluffy.